Chicago Police Cost Taxpayers $18.6 Million in Police Brutality

One year after the city of Chicago fired a police review investigator for finding several police shootings unjustified, the city continues to dish out millions of dollars in police brutality settlements, including $18.6 million so far this year.

The most recent settlements were approved last week; three cases totaling $4.72 million, including the last of 25 lawsuits stemming for a rogue cop named Jerome Finnigan.

But Finnigan, who is now serving time in prison, is hardly the only dirty cop responsible for the slew of lawsuits that have cost Chicago taxpayers more than $500 million over the past decade.

Chicago Aldermen expressed their frustration about the number of claims the city has settled so far this year.

But a city attorney said they should be relieved that the settlements are not even higher, given the number of police abuse lawsuits against the city.

“Both this administration and the prior administration, given the large number of cases, I think did pretty well with settling many of them for a small amount of money,” said First Deputy Corporation Counsel Jenny Notz, according to the [__Chicago Sun-Times.__](http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/aldermen-sign-off-on-4-72m-in-police-abuse-settlements/)

The largest of Wednesday’s settlements was $3.75 million, which will go to the family of an intoxicated man named Esau Castellanos-Bernal, who was shot and killed after he crashed his vehicle in 2013.

Chicago police [__initially claimed they shot him__](https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130316/albany-park/police-shoot-kill-man-albany-park-after-exchanging-gunfire) after he fired at them, but that turned out to be a lie. Turns out, they were probably responding to the sound of his car backfiring because no gun was ever found on the scene.

Another $550,000 was approved for a city firefighter, Robert Cook, [__who was beaten by the aforementioned Finnigan__](http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-11-02/news/0611020341_1_officers-complaint-investigators) and other officers in front of his girlfriend and her children in 2002.

The firefighter, Robert Cook, was beaten by Finnigan and other officers in front of his girlfriend and her children. Officers threatened Cook with planting drugs on him and charging him if he reported the incident. Cook reported the beating to the supervisor Ken Abels, who threatened him with the loss of his job for lying.

Finnigan was part of the now defunct Special Operations Section, a plain clothes swat team, who served warrants for violent offenders. The SOS team was dismantled after multiple controversies. Finnigan is [__now serving a 12 year sentence in an unrelated murder-for-hire plot__](http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-09-08/news/chi-chicago-police-special-operations-section-scandal-jerome-finnigan-federal-court-20110907_1_chicago-cop-officer-jerome-finnigan-police-misconduct), where he attempted to have another officer killed because he thought he was working as an informant for the FBI.

The Cook settlement is the last of the claims against the city involving Finnigan and the Special Operations Section totaling $1.93 million.

“I just wanted to underscore the point that this one man has cost the taxpayers a tremendous amount of money for gross misconduct and breaching the public trust,” said Alderman Brendan Reilly.

An additional settlement of $425,000 was agreed after a police chase injured Gentila Mitchell’s children as a vehicle was being chased by police. The driver of the vehicle lost control and struck her elder child, while the other child was injured when a light pole fell on him.

In December, Mayor Rahm Emanuel stated in a publicly televised interview that police engaged in a “code of silence” after the lengthy battle to prevent the release of the Laquan McDonald video. In the McDonald video, which the city fought the release for more than three years, was walking parallel to police when he was shot. The only officer to shoot claimed he had lunged at him with a knife, as other officers backed up his claim, which was disproved by the video.

However, when given the opportunity to testify about this code of silence in a civil trial involving two whistleblower cops, Emanuel [__chose to remain silent.__ ](http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-rahm-emanuel-code-of-silence-met-0525-20160524-story.html)

The code of silence is so prevalent in the Windy City that in July 2015, [__it fired Independent Police Review Authority investigator Lorenzo Davis__](http://independent%20police%20review%20authority/) for finding fault with police in several shootings, then refusing to reverse those findings, claiming he displayed “clear bias against police.”

Davis was a former Chicago police commander.

Last month, the Chicago Tribune reported that the civilian review board gave victims a [__“false sense of justice__](http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watchdog/ct-chicago-police-ipra-mediation-met-20160616-story.html),” where only 3.8 percent of complaints were deemed credible.

One year after the city of Chicago fired a police review investigator for finding several police shootings unjustified, the city continues to dish out millions of dollars in police brutality settlements, including $18.6 million so far this year.

The most recent settlements were approved last week; three cases totaling $4.72 million, including the last of 25 lawsuits stemming for a rogue cop named Jerome Finnigan.

But Finnigan, who is now serving time in prison, is hardly the only dirty cop responsible for the slew of lawsuits that have cost Chicago taxpayers more than $500 million over the past decade.

Chicago Aldermen expressed their frustration about the number of claims the city has settled so far this year.

But a city attorney said they should be relieved that the settlements are not even higher, given the number of police abuse lawsuits against the city.

“Both this administration and the prior administration, given the large number of cases, I think did pretty well with settling many of them for a small amount of money,” said First Deputy Corporation Counsel Jenny Notz, according to the [__Chicago Sun-Times.__](http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/aldermen-sign-off-on-4-72m-in-police-abuse-settlements/)

The largest of Wednesday’s settlements was $3.75 million, which will go to the family of an intoxicated man named Esau Castellanos-Bernal, who was shot and killed after he crashed his vehicle in 2013.

Chicago police [__initially claimed they shot him__](https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130316/albany-park/police-shoot-kill-man-albany-park-after-exchanging-gunfire) after he fired at them, but that turned out to be a lie. Turns out, they were probably responding to the sound of his car backfiring because no gun was ever found on the scene.

Another $550,000 was approved for a city firefighter, Robert Cook, [__who was beaten by the aforementioned Finnigan__](http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-11-02/news/0611020341_1_officers-complaint-investigators) and other officers in front of his girlfriend and her children in 2002.

The firefighter, Robert Cook, was beaten by Finnigan and other officers in front of his girlfriend and her children. Officers threatened Cook with planting drugs on him and charging him if he reported the incident. Cook reported the beating to the supervisor Ken Abels, who threatened him with the loss of his job for lying.

Finnigan was part of the now defunct Special Operations Section, a plain clothes swat team, who served warrants for violent offenders. The SOS team was dismantled after multiple controversies. Finnigan is [__now serving a 12 year sentence in an unrelated murder-for-hire plot__](http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-09-08/news/chi-chicago-police-special-operations-section-scandal-jerome-finnigan-federal-court-20110907_1_chicago-cop-officer-jerome-finnigan-police-misconduct), where he attempted to have another officer killed because he thought he was working as an informant for the FBI.

The Cook settlement is the last of the claims against the city involving Finnigan and the Special Operations Section totaling $1.93 million.

“I just wanted to underscore the point that this one man has cost the taxpayers a tremendous amount of money for gross misconduct and breaching the public trust,” said Alderman Brendan Reilly.

An additional settlement of $425,000 was agreed after a police chase injured Gentila Mitchell’s children as a vehicle was being chased by police. The driver of the vehicle lost control and struck her elder child, while the other child was injured when a light pole fell on him.

In December, Mayor Rahm Emanuel stated in a publicly televised interview that police engaged in a “code of silence” after the lengthy battle to prevent the release of the Laquan McDonald video. In the McDonald video, which the city fought the release for more than three years, was walking parallel to police when he was shot. The only officer to shoot claimed he had lunged at him with a knife, as other officers backed up his claim, which was disproved by the video.

However, when given the opportunity to testify about this code of silence in a civil trial involving two whistleblower cops, Emanuel [__chose to remain silent.__ ](http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-rahm-emanuel-code-of-silence-met-0525-20160524-story.html)

The code of silence is so prevalent in the Windy City that in July 2015, [__it fired Independent Police Review Authority investigator Lorenzo Davis__](http://independent%20police%20review%20authority/) for finding fault with police in several shootings, then refusing to reverse those findings, claiming he displayed “clear bias against police.”

Davis was a former Chicago police commander.

Last month, the Chicago Tribune reported that the civilian review board gave victims a [__“false sense of justice__](http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watchdog/ct-chicago-police-ipra-mediation-met-20160616-story.html),” where only 3.8 percent of complaints were deemed credible.

Support our Mission

Help us build a database of bad cops

For almost 15 years, PINAC News has remained active despite continuous efforts by the government and Big Tech to shut us down by either arresting us for lawful activity or by restricting access to our readers under the pretense that we write about “social issues.”

Since we are forbidden from discussing social issues on social media, we have created forums on our site to allow us to fulfill our mission with as little restriction as possible. We welcome our readers to join our forums and support our mission by either donating, volunteering or both.

Our plan is to build a national database of bad cops obtained from public records maintained by local prosecutors. The goal is to teach our readers how to obtain these lists to ensure we cover every city, county and state in the country.

After all, the government has made it clear it will not police the police so the role falls upon us.

It will be our most ambitious project yet but it can only be done with your help.

But if we succeed, we will be able to keep innocent people out of prison.

Please make a donation below or click on side tab to learn more about our mission.

Subscribe to PINAC

Bypass Big Tech censorship.

Carlos Millerhttps://pinacnews.com
Editor-in-Chief Carlos Miller spent a decade covering the cop beat for various newspapers in the Southwest before returning to his hometown Miami and launching Photography is Not a Crime aka PINAC News in 2007. He also published a book, The Citizen Journalist's Photography Handbook, which is available on Amazon.

Leave a Reply

- Advertisement -

Latest articles