MN Cop who Shot and Killed Philando Castile Charged with Manslaughter

The Minnesota cop who shot and killed Philando Castile during a traffic stop this year after the 32-year-old man said he was legally carrying a concealed weapon was charged with second-degree manslaughter today.

St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez was also charged with two felony counts of dangerous discharge of a gun, which endangered the lives of Castile’s girlfriend and her four-year-old daughter sitting in the back seat of the car.

It was his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, who live streamed the aftermath of the shooting on Facebook, providing her followers with a gruesome visual of her dying boyfriend after he had been shot four times.

“FUCK!!!” yelled the St. Anthony Police officer through the window.

“He just shot his arm off,” said Reynolds to the camera.

“I told him not to reach for it,” Yanez yelled, “I told him to get hands up!”

“You told him to get his ID,” said Reynolds, “his driver’s license. Oh my lord, I hope he’s not dead, I hope he didn’t go like that.”

Police initially said they pulled Castile over for a broken tail light on July 6, 2016, but an audio recording later proved the cop pulled him over because he had a [__“wide set nose,”__](https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/07/08/minnesota-cop-pulled-philando-castile-wide-set-nose/) which apparently matched the description of an armed robber.

But Castile, an elementary school worker who had a concealed weapons permit, was not a felon. He just a man who had been stopped by police 52 times for minor traffic infractions, which raised allegations that he had been racially profiled on a regular basis.

Yanez faces a maximum sentence of ten years for the manslaughter charge, according to  [__ABC News__](http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/minnesota-prosecutors-provide-update-castile-case-43576549).

Yanez is the first Minnesota cop since 2000 out of more than 150 shooting deaths to be criminally charged, according to the [__Star-Tribune.__](http://www.startribune.com/ramsey-county-attorney-choi-to-announce-update-in-castile-shooting/401484635/)

Ramsey County Attorney John Choi announced the charges Wednesday in a press conference,  saying that the “use of deadly force by Officer Yanez was not justified” and that “it is not enough… to express subjective fear of death or great bodily harm.”

![](https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3220991/Minnesota-v-Yanez-Jeronimo.pdf)

The Minnesota cop who shot and killed Philando Castile during a traffic stop this year after the 32-year-old man said he was legally carrying a concealed weapon was charged with second-degree manslaughter today.

St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez was also charged with two felony counts of dangerous discharge of a gun, which endangered the lives of Castile’s girlfriend and her four-year-old daughter sitting in the back seat of the car.

It was his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, who live streamed the aftermath of the shooting on Facebook, providing her followers with a gruesome visual of her dying boyfriend after he had been shot four times.

“FUCK!!!” yelled the St. Anthony Police officer through the window.

“He just shot his arm off,” said Reynolds to the camera.

“I told him not to reach for it,” Yanez yelled, “I told him to get hands up!”

“You told him to get his ID,” said Reynolds, “his driver’s license. Oh my lord, I hope he’s not dead, I hope he didn’t go like that.”

Police initially said they pulled Castile over for a broken tail light on July 6, 2016, but an audio recording later proved the cop pulled him over because he had a [__“wide set nose,”__](https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/07/08/minnesota-cop-pulled-philando-castile-wide-set-nose/) which apparently matched the description of an armed robber.

But Castile, an elementary school worker who had a concealed weapons permit, was not a felon. He just a man who had been stopped by police 52 times for minor traffic infractions, which raised allegations that he had been racially profiled on a regular basis.

Yanez faces a maximum sentence of ten years for the manslaughter charge, according to  [__ABC News__](http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/minnesota-prosecutors-provide-update-castile-case-43576549).

Yanez is the first Minnesota cop since 2000 out of more than 150 shooting deaths to be criminally charged, according to the [__Star-Tribune.__](http://www.startribune.com/ramsey-county-attorney-choi-to-announce-update-in-castile-shooting/401484635/)

Ramsey County Attorney John Choi announced the charges Wednesday in a press conference,  saying that the “use of deadly force by Officer Yanez was not justified” and that “it is not enough… to express subjective fear of death or great bodily harm.”

![](https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3220991/Minnesota-v-Yanez-Jeronimo.pdf)

Support our Mission

Help us build a database of bad cops

For almost 15 years, PINAC News has remained active despite continuous efforts by the government and Big Tech to shut us down by either arresting us for lawful activity or by restricting access to our readers under the pretense that we write about “social issues.”

Since we are forbidden from discussing social issues on social media, we have created forums on our site to allow us to fulfill our mission with as little restriction as possible. We welcome our readers to join our forums and support our mission by either donating, volunteering or both.

Our plan is to build a national database of bad cops obtained from public records maintained by local prosecutors. The goal is to teach our readers how to obtain these lists to ensure we cover every city, county and state in the country.

After all, the government has made it clear it will not police the police so the role falls upon us.

It will be our most ambitious project yet but it can only be done with your help.

But if we succeed, we will be able to keep innocent people out of prison.

Please make a donation below or click on side tab to learn more about our mission.

Subscribe to PINAC

Bypass Big Tech censorship.

Carlos Millerhttps://pinacnews.com
Editor-in-Chief Carlos Miller spent a decade covering the cop beat for various newspapers in the Southwest before returning to his hometown Miami and launching Photography is Not a Crime aka PINAC News in 2007. He also published a book, The Citizen Journalist's Photography Handbook, which is available on Amazon.

Leave a Reply

- Advertisement -

Latest articles